Skip to main content

Developing your knowledge about Expository Writing

 


Welcome back again to my blog! 😊

I would first like to say I am indeed grateful to be back with you guys this week sharing all there is to know about my Lit102, especially after the TS Fiona, which thankfully had not impacted us greatly. This week’s class was informative as it added to our previous knowledge about expository writing and involved us all in participating in the steps needed to create our very own expository piece.

My piece is titled “Impacts of Land Pollution” geared to educate grade one students about Land Pollution.

What about you guys? What was your expository writing piece titled and what grade level does it bring awareness to??

 

Moving on, as we go further into expository writing identified in our topic above, let us take a look at the word ‘expository’ to aid in your understanding of ‘expository writing. ‘Expository’, defined by Cambridge Dictionary (2022), is the explaining or describing of an event or situation. Students are to be taught that expository writing consists of when, where, who, what, why, and how – questions, geared to aid students in better explaining their topic. For example, students given the topic ‘My Favorite Sport’ should be able to identify their favorite sport, explain why the sport chosen is their favorite, how it is played, who can play it, where they play it or where someone else can play, in the event that another student may want to play it as well. This would result in a very good student expository writing piece.


In my experience and I am sure you may agree, many students can describe a lot about their favorite toy, food, or game they may like orally, but may have some difficulties doing so in writing. Here are a few graphic organizers to assist your students in writing each type of expository writing.

 

Descriptive Writing


Descriptive writing gives details about any topic. Teachers introducing students to the use of a graphic organizer like the one shown above will aid students in building their expository writing for they can work in pairs  groups of more than two, or as a class to complete this table. With the completed table, students will have an easier time writing as they won't be too worried about what to write but can instead structure their sentences to include these topic-related descriptors.

 

Sequential writing



Sequential writing provides step-by-step information on any subject. Students will benefit from teachers teaching them how to use graphic organizers like the one above since it allows them to finish the table individually, in groups, or as a class, which will help them develop their expository writing skills. In the lower grades, visuals can help students organize the step-by-step procedure of their assigned topic, such as "How to cook a pizza?" or, in the upper grades, they can be given the words of the pictures so they can also be ordered. Students will find it simpler to write out each step once the graphic organizer is complete because the steps are already grouped in a set pattern.

 

Problem and Solution



Problem and solution is an expository writing style that not only identifies a problem but also explains it and looks for solutions through explanation. By teaching students how to utilize a graphic organizer like the one above, you can help them to organize and explain their problems. Each problem is stated, followed by its answer, and everything is arranged so that students may improve their expository writing by discussing each problem and its solution in one paragraph.

 

Cause and Effect



Another expository writing type is cause and effect, which explains both the cause—the reason something happened—and the effect of what happened. By employing graphic organizers like the one in the example, a teacher can help his or her students examine and group the causes of problems and their effects. As a result, students' writing pieces will be thorough and simple to understand as all the information they have obtained has already been arranged. All that is left to do is structure it into their writing piece.

 

Compare and Contrast



Another expository writing type is ‘compare and contrast, which provides details about key ideas of a given topic. Both similarities and differences are identified in this sort of writing where students, for instance, may be assigned the topic "Apples and Oranges,". Here, students will use a graphic organizer like the one above to illustrate the similarities and differences. Once finished, the knowledge might simply be turned into a writing task on the topic.

 

Implementation



Here’s an example of how you can assist your students in structuring their expository writing pieces:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5IPrxafggQ







Comments

  1. Hey Roannah! I really enjoyed the video you shared with us. The content was easy to follow and it really hit the nail on the head where the expository aspects are concerned. I am excited to read your final expository piece on the ‘Impacts of Land Pollution’, as I know it is a prevalent situation in Antigua. I must say there have been quite a few clean-up groups in the past years, maybe you can make mention of some of them. I enjoyed reading your blog post and learning about the different elements and styles of expository writing. What stood out to me was the graphic organizer used for descriptive writing. I know for a fact students would enjoy having a bowl of popcorn in class when describing the taste, smell, etc. It brought me back to Ms. Quinn's example with the O.R.E.O organizer. Definitely an aspect I will include in my writing sessions.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Roannah! I liked how easy it was to follow the video you shared and the information was extremely helpful. I will definitely be bookmarking it for future reference. I remember when you shared your topic, and I thought you were going to write a book about pollution lol. I am now pleased to see that you narrowed your topic to land pollution. I am definitely waiting to see how your content unfolds as this is a serious problem across the world. I really enjoyed reading about the different writing types and you even shared graphic organizers that are child-friendly. I’m looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Support for Struggling Writers

  Support for Struggling Writers Hallo everyone, welcome back to another wonderful week of my blog.   😊 Trusting that you guys were greatly informed in my last blog about the six approaches to teaching writing and are ready for today's blog post. <3   Why support struggling writers? Let’s face it, we have all had some issues with developing our writing pieces at some point in our lives. Yes! Even teachers too. I would admit even as I am doing this degree I may second guess what I have written, or may not even know how to start. Students also become struggling writers because they lack interest in the topics given, or their writing pieces may be disorganized. Here are some other reasons why students may struggle to write in the classroom: But how do we as teachers support these struggling writers within the classroom? Here are twelve (12) strategies to support struggling writers and some pointers to assist you in developing each strategy within your classroo...

What seems to be the problem? : Struggling Writers Edition

  As we begin winding down to the end of the semester, I often sit and reminisce on the first set of classes we attended and of course our first blog entries. We have come a long way my dear colleagues, but our journey is far from over. This week focused on strategies that can be used to support struggling writers. In my opinion, this is an issue that should be addressed as often as possible. Many issues can surface as students are learning new things every day. It is the task of the teacher to ensure that students are grasping what is being covered and also tending to any issues they may have where writing and reading are concerned. A struggling reader can take many forms. The student may not know what topic they want to write on, one may be struggling to expound on their ideas and we all have the one student who for some reason seems to have a burning fire under his/her chair and can't sit still. It may be easier for the teacher to have a binder or a folder containing each stud...

Creating an Environment to Aid Students in Learning to Write

  你好 - N ǐ h ǎ o my people!! Welcome back to my blog for yet another fantastic week. I hope my last blog on helping struggling writers tremendously informed you of how to assist these struggling writers within your classroom   and that you are now prepared for this week's blog post. <3 How do you c reat e an environment that helps students to learn how to write ? Ensuring that students are within a positive learning environment when they are writing is important in the development of exceptional writers. If a student is unable to write for, they may be having issues with spelling, creating ideas, unable to structure their writing pieces appropriately, may lack understanding of grammar concepts, or struggling with writing overall for their lack of interest. A teacher’s objective is to foster a supportive learning environment for his/her students in the classroom, which would subsequently develop their writing substantially. In achieving this goal, a supportive learning e...