Skip to main content

Approaches to Teaching Writing

Approaches to teaching writing



This course has indeed placed an emphasis on the many ways an educator can teach writing. This is understandable as the topic, learning ability of the students and even the learning environment can be changed whether controlled or uncontrolled. As an educator, we should be able to analyze the lesson objectives and utilize a strategy or an approach that is suitable when giving instructions. This week we focused on a few approaches, and as I've said before and will continue to say, there are indeed a few I will try to implement within my classroom as teaching Language Arts will always be challenging to me.  


Penmanship
The penmanship approach can be utilized during the Kindergarten level. This has been identified as the earliest approach to teaching writing which focuses on transcribing, which involves creating legible and accurate writing on a page. I can remember as far back as Grade 1 when our teacher would take her time to ‘rule up’ the blackboard to mimic our penmanship book. She used a long stick and in my opinion the whitest chalk (lol) to ensure that we could see exactly what she was writing. As an adult I continue to see all the approaches and strategies coming to play, not realizing that they have been around since I was a little girl. In Grades 2 and 3, cursive is a writing style taught to students. I became aware that some schools implement cursive writing as early as Kindergarten. I can only imagine what the students writing style would be like by the time they get to grade 2. In my opinion, some things are best taught to children at an early age, penmanship being one of them. It is a skill they will utilize throughout their educational life and it benefits both the students and the teacher when the student can write legibly. In my three years as a teacher in the classroom, I’ve seen several writing styles. It is a struggle to make out the letters for some of the students and I often wonder if that is what other people think about my handwriting. I do believe that worksheets and daily practice will aid students in ‘perfecting’ their penmanship skills, and just like driving, I do believe it is a skill that cannot be forgotten.



Rules-Based Approach
This approach focuses on teaching children how to correctly write words and sentences. In my opinion, this places emphasis on the language/grammar rules that we have come to learn over the years. I did some further research on the approach and this is what I found:

“ It includes activities like identifying parts of speech, locating sentence elements such as subjects and predicates, learning and applying rules for subject-verb agreement and pronoun use, and practicing punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. One common exercise is sentence correction. Teachers provide sentences with language errors and ask children to correct the mistakes. Students may also write original sentences to practice how to use language. For example, they may be asked to appropriately write a sentence that uses certain adjectives or homonyms. Other activities include adding prefixes or suffixes to lists of words, joining sentences by adding conjunctions, and changing fragments into complete sentences.”

McQuitty, V. (n.d.). 6. Approaches to Writing Instruction in Elementary Classrooms – Steps to Success: Crossing the Bridge Between Literacy Research and Practice. Pressbooks. https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/stepstosuccess/chapter/6-approaches-to-writing-instruction-in-elementary-classrooms/




Process Approach
This is what I call the ‘OG’ strategy. This approach has been mentioned so many times that I do believe it belongs in the Bible of Teachers. The process approach views all writing as a creative endeavor that needs time and constructive criticism to be completed successfully. When teaching process writing, the teacher departs from the traditional role of assigning writing assignments to students and receiving their final drafts for editing. Instead, the teacher goes through a process with the students, ensuring that each step/stage is completed before moving on to the next. 



Genre Approach
I became familiar with this word in high school concerning music. As I got older, I became aware of the many types of genres of text and writing. In my opinion, teaching through this approach may be difficult as some genres require the use of different structures, tones, and even jargon. When teaching using this approach the component of language must be brought out: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. I found this chart that highlights the different elements of utilizing the genre approach.



Strategy Approach
This strategy can take the form of many types, based on the topic being covered. Teachers can make use of acronym-based models such as 
P- picking my own ideas
O- organizing my notes
W-write and say more
The teacher doesn't have to always make use of an acronym-style model but the technique being used must be highlighted. Regardless of the structure, it should guide students through each part of the writing process.




Multimodal Approach

The term "multimodality" in the context of writing instruction refers to the employment of a variety of communication and persuasion techniques, including written, oral, nonverbal, and visual. Multimodal composition is defined as a composition that intentionally combines various modalities to provide meaning. The students get the chance to work on projects that use a variety of media, including words, photos, graphics, animation, sounds, and video. They have the chance to learn through speaking, listening, reading, writing, and visual representation. They also get the chance to demonstrate their knowledge through oral presentations and movies. They engage in class discussions both verbally and online, present arguments using text, graphics, and video, and practice utilizing presenting tools successfully.



What are your thoughts on the different approaches covered? Is there one in particular that you plan on utilizing when you return back to the classroom?

Comments

  1. Jewel, this post was enjoyable to read. I believe that each method serves a purpose because students have varying requirements and would derive the most benefit from a combination of teaching strategies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Support for Struggling Writers

  Support for Struggling Writers Hallo everyone, welcome back to another wonderful week of my blog.   😊 Trusting that you guys were greatly informed in my last blog about the six approaches to teaching writing and are ready for today's blog post. <3   Why support struggling writers? Let’s face it, we have all had some issues with developing our writing pieces at some point in our lives. Yes! Even teachers too. I would admit even as I am doing this degree I may second guess what I have written, or may not even know how to start. Students also become struggling writers because they lack interest in the topics given, or their writing pieces may be disorganized. Here are some other reasons why students may struggle to write in the classroom: But how do we as teachers support these struggling writers within the classroom? Here are twelve (12) strategies to support struggling writers and some pointers to assist you in developing each strategy within your classroo...

What seems to be the problem? : Struggling Writers Edition

  As we begin winding down to the end of the semester, I often sit and reminisce on the first set of classes we attended and of course our first blog entries. We have come a long way my dear colleagues, but our journey is far from over. This week focused on strategies that can be used to support struggling writers. In my opinion, this is an issue that should be addressed as often as possible. Many issues can surface as students are learning new things every day. It is the task of the teacher to ensure that students are grasping what is being covered and also tending to any issues they may have where writing and reading are concerned. A struggling reader can take many forms. The student may not know what topic they want to write on, one may be struggling to expound on their ideas and we all have the one student who for some reason seems to have a burning fire under his/her chair and can't sit still. It may be easier for the teacher to have a binder or a folder containing each stud...

Creating an Environment to Aid Students in Learning to Write

  你好 - N ǐ h ǎ o my people!! Welcome back to my blog for yet another fantastic week. I hope my last blog on helping struggling writers tremendously informed you of how to assist these struggling writers within your classroom   and that you are now prepared for this week's blog post. <3 How do you c reat e an environment that helps students to learn how to write ? Ensuring that students are within a positive learning environment when they are writing is important in the development of exceptional writers. If a student is unable to write for, they may be having issues with spelling, creating ideas, unable to structure their writing pieces appropriately, may lack understanding of grammar concepts, or struggling with writing overall for their lack of interest. A teacher’s objective is to foster a supportive learning environment for his/her students in the classroom, which would subsequently develop their writing substantially. In achieving this goal, a supportive learning e...