Skip to main content

Writing Philosophy

     What really had an impact on me this week was creating our own writing philosophy. I found that while typing and listing my ideas I felt something change in me, the desire and drive to have an impact on the students under my care. I really enjoyed this writing exercise because I was allowed to use figurative language which I really enjoy. Here is my writing philosophy, let me know your thoughts and I can't wait to see your pieces.

Writing Philosophy

            Writing is a process that requires practice and exposure to hone one's skills. As an educator, I will be the catalyst that inspires change within my students by exposing my students to various reading and writing strategies. Like a mirror, I would like my students to also reflect on me where I can improve as their teacher. There is a great misconception that writing is difficult or boring. It is not! Writing is fun and one of the truest forms of expression alongside speech. Think about writing as sharing your ideas and opinions with others. Think about all the books that have been written, printed, and shared with billions of people. All these books capture the author’s ideas and allow readers to experience these ideas.

            As a teacher of writing, I will educate my students that writing does not just have to be for grades. I will inform my students that writing can be used for real-life purposes like formally inquiring about misunderstandings that they might encounter in adulthood. Just like we need to speak we also need writing to communicate. My classroom will be a nursery for young writers who question everything and are free to express their opinions on the topics we explore. Students will be allowed the opportunity to share their favorite book and explain to fellow classmates why they enjoy that book.

            We are still at school and my students will be assessed but in new and innovative ways. My students will choose the pieces they feel confident being assessed on. After all,.   writers only publish the writing they are satisfied with, that has been polished. Assessments will not be limited to simply writing essays or reports, but also reenacting scenes from their favorite books and even creating costumes based on their favorite characters.

            Lastly, I would also encourage students to bring books from cultures that are typically excluded from our classrooms. Mangas are written by Japanese and Chinese authors that not only motivate students to read interesting stories about characters that face extreme hardships and overcome them but can also expose students to the customs and traditions of these countries.

Writing brings people together!    

The discussion of "The Reading and Writing Connection" gave very insightful information. For instance,
reading and writing are two sides of the same coin.

The Language Experience Approach integrates speaking and listening, reading and writing through
the creation of text based on personal experience is an excellent way to expose students of all levels to
the writing process as well as getting them to read.
Below is an illustration that helps to explain the Language Experience Approach.



Let me know if this illustration helps with understanding the approach.
What do you think about the L.E.A? 

Comments

  1. Your philosophy was really good, and as I read more and more, I could relate to every word, as the passion for teaching comes out throughout. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Support for Struggling Writers

  Support for Struggling Writers Hallo everyone, welcome back to another wonderful week of my blog.   😊 Trusting that you guys were greatly informed in my last blog about the six approaches to teaching writing and are ready for today's blog post. <3   Why support struggling writers? Let’s face it, we have all had some issues with developing our writing pieces at some point in our lives. Yes! Even teachers too. I would admit even as I am doing this degree I may second guess what I have written, or may not even know how to start. Students also become struggling writers because they lack interest in the topics given, or their writing pieces may be disorganized. Here are some other reasons why students may struggle to write in the classroom: But how do we as teachers support these struggling writers within the classroom? Here are twelve (12) strategies to support struggling writers and some pointers to assist you in developing each strategy within your classroo...

What seems to be the problem? : Struggling Writers Edition

  As we begin winding down to the end of the semester, I often sit and reminisce on the first set of classes we attended and of course our first blog entries. We have come a long way my dear colleagues, but our journey is far from over. This week focused on strategies that can be used to support struggling writers. In my opinion, this is an issue that should be addressed as often as possible. Many issues can surface as students are learning new things every day. It is the task of the teacher to ensure that students are grasping what is being covered and also tending to any issues they may have where writing and reading are concerned. A struggling reader can take many forms. The student may not know what topic they want to write on, one may be struggling to expound on their ideas and we all have the one student who for some reason seems to have a burning fire under his/her chair and can't sit still. It may be easier for the teacher to have a binder or a folder containing each stud...

Creating an Environment to Aid Students in Learning to Write

  你好 - N ǐ h ǎ o my people!! Welcome back to my blog for yet another fantastic week. I hope my last blog on helping struggling writers tremendously informed you of how to assist these struggling writers within your classroom   and that you are now prepared for this week's blog post. <3 How do you c reat e an environment that helps students to learn how to write ? Ensuring that students are within a positive learning environment when they are writing is important in the development of exceptional writers. If a student is unable to write for, they may be having issues with spelling, creating ideas, unable to structure their writing pieces appropriately, may lack understanding of grammar concepts, or struggling with writing overall for their lack of interest. A teacher’s objective is to foster a supportive learning environment for his/her students in the classroom, which would subsequently develop their writing substantially. In achieving this goal, a supportive learning e...