Skip to main content

'Writing' in the Classroom




Bonjour! My wonderful people. Boy, do I have some great information for you today, to aid you as a teacher within your classroom and most importantly your students.

Before I go on, I must say Lit102 this week was aboundingly insightful and consisted of myself and others who had not demonstrated their writing strategy fulfilling that task. My demonstration was good and it comprised of firstly explaining my strategy and then demonstrating it within a writing frame where sequential writing was done. I  incorporated pictures of the ingredients to assist them in creating the content needed to expound on their writing about the topic, ‘Making Pizza’. All in all, the entire Lit102 lessons showed no fault in my eyes and were relatable as we thought of strategies that could be used to assist with some challenges in teaching writing to students.



These Challenges include: -

  •   Multidimensional nature of writing
  •    Writing as a decontextualized task
  •     Absence of prosody, body language, and facial expression in writing
  •   Writers who cannot assume shared context with the reader
  •       Writers who have limited information about the reader’s knowledge, opinion, and reading competence.


Thankfully, these challenges can be remedied with the suitable writing strategies that have been taught within Lit102. Such strategies include Gradual Release of Responsibility, Writer’s Workshops, Think Aloud, Text Model, and much more.

Have a look at this article, comprised of information to aid you as a teacher in dealing with challenges in writing within your class:-


Challenges Faced by Students and Teachers on Writing Skills in ESL Contexts: A Literature Review




Emergent writers, also known as developing writers, comprise students from the kindergarten level or lower to the second grade. These writers are currently discovering the fundamentals of writing. Students should be able to form letters correctly with the use of alphabet charts to help with the relationships between the letters and their sounds, use spaces between words, and write high-frequency words smoothly at this level.

 

Early writers, also referred to as beginning writers, who are in the second and third levels are already able to analyze the placement of sounds in words (beginning, middle, and end), and they can monitor their own writing to the point that they can spot misspelled words and possible sentence fragments that have been omitted.

 

Transitional writers also known as expounding writers are within the third, fourth, and possibly fifth levels. These writers continue to employ editing and rewriting techniques to help them write their pieces and come up with new ideas because they can easily write while spelling, resulting in longer, more elaborate pieces.

 

Students who are fluent writers often referred to as independent writers, include some fifth- and sixth-level students. These students have a wide range of writing skills and can write independently all while integrating descriptive language. Incorporation of what they have learned from previously read books, experiences, or lessons taught is seen in their writing, which ultimately helps to establish the writer's voice.

 

Have a look at the writing progress of children from the Emergent Writers stage right up to the Fluent Writers stage, and how their writing has excelled during their days: 









What are your takeaways from this week's lesson?

How have my aids in this blog assisted you in gaining a better understanding of the topics?

Have you dealt with any of these types of writers? If so, which ones? and how has your experience been with them being in and outside the classroom? 




 


 

Comments

  1. Bonjour!
    I definitely agree with your take on the classes being packed with a lot of useful information. I also enjoyed your presentation where you illustrated ‘Making A Pizza’, and this is indeed a topic students will enjoy writing about. The article you shared highlights the issues many teachers are facing. It is unfortunate that the issue is common for both students and teachers around the world, where teaching writing is concerned. It adds to the consensus that teaching writing should not be cursory, however, both students and teachers need to have the patience and eagerness to learn and apply the various strategies when writing.

    The video included also ties into what was covered in class where the students writing development advanced as they went through the different stages. This concept was new to me as I also thought children were just ‘scribbling’ as their way of utilizing their fine motor skills when holding a pencil. I was not aware that they were actual labels to the writing development stages.

    To answer your questions:


    1. What are your takeaways from this week's lesson?
    The stages in writing development definitely stood out to me and being able to see what the different stages look like in a child's ‘scribbling’/writing.


    2. How have my aids in this blog assisted you in gaining a better understanding of the topics?
    The video you shared reinforced the concepts learned in class and the article was a great addition in highlighting the concerns of other teachers.


    3. Have you dealt with any of these types of writers? If so, which ones? and how has your experience been with them being in and outside the classroom?
    I had a few students in grade 3 who in my opinion were writing at the Emergent Stage. It was indeed a struggle to bring them up to the required level and I honestly wished I had the knowledge of these stages as a guide back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent information Roannah. In my spare time, I will definitely take a look at the article you mentioned. The information that you provided on the different stages of writing development was short and sweet, just like you. The video also provided excellent examples of how children’s handwriting develops through the various stages. I am definitely looking forward to your next post.

    To answer the questions that you posed.
    I took away a lot from this week’s lessons as I have definitely been in situations where I wished I could have aided my students with their writing. The challenges in writing are numerous but so are the solutions. I will definitely be using these strategies upon my return to the classroom.
    I have encountered a few of these writers, as I was fortunate enough to teach all the students at my school Agricultural Science. It has given me an insight into how students’ handwriting develops from Kindergarten to Grade Six. At that point in time, I simply believed that their handwriting would develop with practice. To my surprise, there were students who I observed with excellent writing skills for their age, due to practicing at home. Knowing what I have learned now, I will be making strides to improve the writing development of all my students with the strategies that I have been exposed to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Support for Struggling Writers

  Support for Struggling Writers Hallo everyone, welcome back to another wonderful week of my blog.   😊 Trusting that you guys were greatly informed in my last blog about the six approaches to teaching writing and are ready for today's blog post. <3   Why support struggling writers? Let’s face it, we have all had some issues with developing our writing pieces at some point in our lives. Yes! Even teachers too. I would admit even as I am doing this degree I may second guess what I have written, or may not even know how to start. Students also become struggling writers because they lack interest in the topics given, or their writing pieces may be disorganized. Here are some other reasons why students may struggle to write in the classroom: But how do we as teachers support these struggling writers within the classroom? Here are twelve (12) strategies to support struggling writers and some pointers to assist you in developing each strategy within your classroo...

What seems to be the problem? : Struggling Writers Edition

  As we begin winding down to the end of the semester, I often sit and reminisce on the first set of classes we attended and of course our first blog entries. We have come a long way my dear colleagues, but our journey is far from over. This week focused on strategies that can be used to support struggling writers. In my opinion, this is an issue that should be addressed as often as possible. Many issues can surface as students are learning new things every day. It is the task of the teacher to ensure that students are grasping what is being covered and also tending to any issues they may have where writing and reading are concerned. A struggling reader can take many forms. The student may not know what topic they want to write on, one may be struggling to expound on their ideas and we all have the one student who for some reason seems to have a burning fire under his/her chair and can't sit still. It may be easier for the teacher to have a binder or a folder containing each stud...

Creating an Environment to Aid Students in Learning to Write

  你好 - N ǐ h ǎ o my people!! Welcome back to my blog for yet another fantastic week. I hope my last blog on helping struggling writers tremendously informed you of how to assist these struggling writers within your classroom   and that you are now prepared for this week's blog post. <3 How do you c reat e an environment that helps students to learn how to write ? Ensuring that students are within a positive learning environment when they are writing is important in the development of exceptional writers. If a student is unable to write for, they may be having issues with spelling, creating ideas, unable to structure their writing pieces appropriately, may lack understanding of grammar concepts, or struggling with writing overall for their lack of interest. A teacher’s objective is to foster a supportive learning environment for his/her students in the classroom, which would subsequently develop their writing substantially. In achieving this goal, a supportive learning e...