Skip to main content

Framework for Writers’ Success

 


As a teacher have you ever asked yourself, what can I do to aid my students to become exceptional writers’/authors’?  

If you have, then you are just like me. I have looked up many strategies to go about completing the task of assisting my students within the classroom to easily express themselves through writing. However, it was via the exposure to the learning of scaffolding through the use of the Writer’s Workshop within my LIT 102 course that I was able to gain an understanding of its components and how to go about implementing it. In addition to other scaffolding techniques that I learned within this course, I felt like Writer's Workshop is a very effective method for encouraging students to contribute ideas and incorporate them into their writing. Other scaffolding techniques included show-and-tell, visual aids, the pause, ask questions, and review strategy, and tapping into prior knowledge that I had previously used in the classroom.


What is a Writers Workshop you may ask? Well! Initially, Writers Workshop for me seemed like something that would be drawn out and basically too long of a strategy to be taught by a teacher to a class, but as I progressed in understanding what the writer’s workshop entailed, it’s basically an organized framework for teachers as myself and others to use for teaching writing and it is very beneficial once implemented in the classrooms.

What are the benefits of Writer’s Workshop you may ask? Let’s take a look:


My understanding of scaffolding was further solidified by the mini-lessons, discussions, and demonstrations presented by my classmates and the lecturer throughout the course as they covered scaffolding techniques using the Focus Lessons, Writing Time, and Sharing components of the Writer's Workshop.

Some of these included:

Pair writing and Pair editing


Writing Conference: teach the writer, writer’s intent, writer’s need,

Group share

The next class will sure love to see more demonstrations and presentations, hopefully, to fit the time given so as to get all groups presenting in one go. What do you guys think? 

Comments

  1. Hey Roannah!

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. You ask what I would do to aid my students to become exceptional writers’/authors. To sum it up, the main thing I would do is allow them to choose their topic. I find that this strategy channels their creativity as they are able to express themselves freely without any limitations with the content. I also agree with your point on the Writers Workshop being very effective but I can already anticipate it being very strenuous to implement. However, I believe once we plan the workshop effectively, it can be done. In my opinion, Language Arts, composition writing to be exact, has a lot of strategies but it also requires a lot of patience from both the teacher's perspective and the student (the main reason I dislike the subject). I have experienced in my own class, students being frustrated more in Language Arts than they are in the other subject areas. That could be a reflection of my own (poor) teaching, as I didn’t utilize many of the strategies we are now being taught. Thank God for teacher training right? As time progresses I am eager to see your thought process and ideas on the different literature topics.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post Roannah. I also have had issues with my students in both reading and writing. The writer’s workshop is the answer to our prayers. I totally agree with you on allowing students to choose their own topics when they can as it allows them to explore things that they like or enjoy.

    I really enjoyed the video you shared about implementing the writer’s workshop. It was short but very informative. When we do master the writer’s workshop it will be a powerful tool in taking our students to the next level in their writing. The strategies that you mentioned were also really good and I intend to implement them in my own lessons. This course will equip us to support our students as they develop their writing skills. When you have a chance take a look at my post I posted some graphic organizers that you might find helpful. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roannah, your post was very informative, and yes, just like you, I use to wonder how to help my students. Thanks to you I now have some strategies at my disposal. I will let you know how it all turns out when I use them with my students in Barbuda!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Support for Struggling Writers

  Support for Struggling Writers Hallo everyone, welcome back to another wonderful week of my blog.   😊 Trusting that you guys were greatly informed in my last blog about the six approaches to teaching writing and are ready for today's blog post. <3   Why support struggling writers? Let’s face it, we have all had some issues with developing our writing pieces at some point in our lives. Yes! Even teachers too. I would admit even as I am doing this degree I may second guess what I have written, or may not even know how to start. Students also become struggling writers because they lack interest in the topics given, or their writing pieces may be disorganized. Here are some other reasons why students may struggle to write in the classroom: But how do we as teachers support these struggling writers within the classroom? Here are twelve (12) strategies to support struggling writers and some pointers to assist you in developing each strategy within your classroo...

What seems to be the problem? : Struggling Writers Edition

  As we begin winding down to the end of the semester, I often sit and reminisce on the first set of classes we attended and of course our first blog entries. We have come a long way my dear colleagues, but our journey is far from over. This week focused on strategies that can be used to support struggling writers. In my opinion, this is an issue that should be addressed as often as possible. Many issues can surface as students are learning new things every day. It is the task of the teacher to ensure that students are grasping what is being covered and also tending to any issues they may have where writing and reading are concerned. A struggling reader can take many forms. The student may not know what topic they want to write on, one may be struggling to expound on their ideas and we all have the one student who for some reason seems to have a burning fire under his/her chair and can't sit still. It may be easier for the teacher to have a binder or a folder containing each stud...

Creating an Environment to Aid Students in Learning to Write

  你好 - N ǐ h ǎ o my people!! Welcome back to my blog for yet another fantastic week. I hope my last blog on helping struggling writers tremendously informed you of how to assist these struggling writers within your classroom   and that you are now prepared for this week's blog post. <3 How do you c reat e an environment that helps students to learn how to write ? Ensuring that students are within a positive learning environment when they are writing is important in the development of exceptional writers. If a student is unable to write for, they may be having issues with spelling, creating ideas, unable to structure their writing pieces appropriately, may lack understanding of grammar concepts, or struggling with writing overall for their lack of interest. A teacher’s objective is to foster a supportive learning environment for his/her students in the classroom, which would subsequently develop their writing substantially. In achieving this goal, a supportive learning e...